Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Brand Names.

Growing up, I shifted from Limited Too to Old Navy to Loft-when-it's-on-sale. I remember one point, the first months of 11th grade, I bought one Guess? tee and one DKNY tank. I wore Mudd jeans and Delia's everything else. Otherwise, I don't remember caring much about brand name clothes or accessories. My dad bought me a sleeveless Ralph Lauren top and an RL jean jacket. I think I wore them out.

Banana Republic is high above me, but I do have a couple pairs of work pants from there--I call them money pants. Maybe I'll be able to wear them (I loved the stretchy Sloan fit) again someday as everyday pants. I also have a plum and lavender silk scarf I've used as a headband and an amazing multi-chain, multi-metal (silver, gold, black) necklace full of little skeleton keys.

I own a few items from Jones New York. When I had an interview at Borders many years ago, Mom bought me a gray shell and a pair of gray silk pants. Funny--we each had a pair of the pants but sort of shared the matching jacket. I also wore that duo to my first full-time teaching interview.

I love Steve Madden shoes. I've worn out several pairs of his shoes, especially the Madden Girl style. I'm having to say goodbye to a sensational pair of gray heels and of black heels. I wore them every week at work. I wore his bowling shoes for years--black ones, blue ones, and red ones.

I have two Kate Spade items. One is the beautiful journal I'm using now, with a painting of a stack of blue and pink books on the cover. The other is a collaboration between Kate Spade and Keds: slip-ons with magenta trim and all-over, multi-color glitter.

Of course, to say I have a weakness for prestige cosmetics would be an understatement. I've long loved Urban Decay and Too Faced, but I've also become interested in Marc Jacobs Beauty, MAC, and Fresh. I like heavy glitter makeup in whimsical, intriguing packages.

My other brand love is Betsey Johnson. But I think I've bought some faux versions of her jewelry on Ebay, and I'm okay with that. It's her style that I want.

So I'm a little more into brand names than I thought. Mostly, I think I try something, and if I love it, I can get obsessed or just loyal and excited.

Do you have any beloved brands? What do you think of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment