Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Final Travels.


On Thursday night, Josh helped me paint my nails. I wonder if we'll do that again before our darling arrives. We used Nicole Light a Candle (is it purple? Is it silver?), which reminds me of Gelly Roll Lightning (now Silver Shadow) pens and Sephora by OPI It's Bouquet by Me (purple microglitter). Pretty nails are a nice surprise every time I look down, even if the surrounding fingers and toes are puffy and red.

I had a short day on Friday, but I was so eager to finish it. The sky was gloomy with hurricane anticipation, and I was sleepy. When I got home, we finished packing and loading. A little over halfway through our drive, we stopped at Target for a break. I definitely needed to move around (and use the restroom...twice). I also hadn't been to Target in almost two months. You know how Target is. If you haven't been there in a while, it's a magical wonderland where you can spend a good bit of money on big or little treasures. I chose little. The next time I spend any noticeable amount of money will be when Josh and I buy the remaining Oliver essentials, probably this week, after our showers.

I was there first of all to get a birthday card and some little gifts (which my Mom and I would classify as prizes) for my dear friend Melissa, whose birthday was last week. I knew I'd be seeing her at the shower for which Mom had made her decorator extraordinaire. I found a good card with an inspirational quotation ("Life should not only be lived, it should be celebrated." --Osho) --we're both fans of those. I found a few pairs of earrings, some adorable pens, and precious (though probably impractical) tiny dry erase marker. I hope she can use the latter items at her new teaching job. Melissa has quite distinctive taste in earrings (large, somewhat tribal), so I hope I got it right. Gifts never seem sufficient to me, but the attempt is fun anyway.

For meeee, I found one pair of earrings, two pairs of flats, and four beautiful headbands (which I'm sure will appear in photos later). I get tired of wearing barrettes everyday during this transitional hair period, but my headbands for close repetition. Now, I have more choices! And referring back to quotations, I love how Target has begun carrying nice (but still inexpensive) journals, and I found two with fantastic quotations. One soft cover green journal with golden fruit has Rilke's "Think of the world you carry within you." I've certainly been thinking about that a lot. The other is a blue and brown floral hardcover with what is probably my favorite quotation about writing: Anais Nin's "We write to taste life twice."

I'm usually a Sephora girl when I buy eye makeup, but I decided to try a couple of other brands. I found Almay's Intense I-Color trio for green eyes in greens and purple...and Sonia Kashuk's eye shadow quad in purple haze--two purples, a brown, and a silver. The colors in the latter set looked so metallic and shimmery that I couldn't resist. I hoped they wouldn't disappoint.


So I was in a good mood when we arrived at Mom and Shane's house. I got to see the rabbits. I'd begun to think I could no longer believe rabbits were real. You have to see these particular tiny rabbits to understand how magical they are...we say they are made of imagination. Oliver has often seemed that way, but we will believe in him too!

We ate quesadillas stuffed with grilled vegetables...many of which I would normally avoid, but my body must need them, and they were good. The slathering of guacamole was good too. I love how thoughtful my mom is about Josh's veggie-headness.

Mom told me that she had recently finished reading Never Let Me Go--which I see as a stunning book. It floored her too! We spent much of the evening discussing it. This culminated in Josh kindly running out to Best Buy to purchase the DVD (which I wanted to own anyway). I liked the movie just as much the second time (and I knew more details because of the book). Mom liked it too, and we had more discussions before bed. Few pleasures are so keen as sharing and discussing beloved books and films with a dear one.

(Image: Never Let Me Go. http://playpretend.tumblr.com/page/3)

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to check out that book! I saw the movie and liked it. Right now I'm slowly reading Wonder Boys, which is also a movie, one of my favorite movies, actually, and I'm falling in love with the book. It's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete