Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

I Can't Wait to Do This with Oliver.


*Blow bubbles (preferably grape-flavored candy bubbles).

*Go to DisneyWorld and ride Peter Pan's Flight and Cinderella's Carousel.

*Go to a Children's Theater of Charlotte production (perhaps we'll be brave enough to try The Borrowers in January?).

*Make forts and read books and eat fancy snacks in them.


*Go to a library and lounge amid book stacks.

*Read fairy tales and discuss the illustrations.

*Sing Styx's "Babe" to him when I leave for work.

*Give him his first taste of ice cream. I can imagine the initial shock of cold and the slow joy and understanding of sweetness.

*Scribble with chubby crayons.


*Make a mess with glitter.

*Watch Disney movies.

*Take him to buy the first pair of trainers for which he actually has a preference.

*Hold out candles and soaps for him to smell (the way I do with his dad now).'


*Wash his little head and make his hair stick up.

*Carefully put tiny socks on his feet.

*Squish his cheek chub with an upward kiss.

*First bubble bath.

*Play in sand and in water.

*Find him hoarding treasures of some kind (pebbles, leaves, trinkets...).


*Listen to his gurgles over the phone.

*Take a nap with him and Josh.

*Have a family snuggle on the couch while watching a Disney movie or other childhood favorite.

*Share popcorn (grubby little hands!) at the movie theater.

*See him reading a book he picked on his own (maybe one we already have?).

*See him pretend to read a book, perhaps while holding it upside down.

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to tell me that when I was very little I grabbed the book she was reading to me before bed and started reading it out loud. She couldn't believe it, she thought I'd memorized it, so she grabbed another book, but I was able to read that one as well. It's like i picked up the skill through osmosis. Considering he has two avid readers for parents, I wouldn't be surprised if Oliver did the same.

    ReplyDelete