Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

A Page from My Journal: August 21, 2011.


Another weekend storm is upon us. It actually woke us from a nap. The sky seemed to be breathing angrily. Now, the thunder rumbles, and the lightning flashes through the room. I can smell the cinnamon candle Josh lit. My shelves of journals and stacks of books look both cozy and somehow mysterious in the light of my pink-shaded lamp. I'm drinking my afternoon Dr. Pepper and wondering if I'll have the energy to cook dinner. When did I last cook? Josh has taken over the muffin baking on weekend mornings.

I finished reading A Mango-Shaped Space last night, and I cried quite a bit over it. That's twice this week, though this one wasn't sobbing like I did over my terrible, stressful day on Wednesday. I'm glad I've been able to cry though--it seems to make me feel better physically.

Today, I'm about halfway through Sheila Kohler's Cracks. It has an atmosphere similar to Never Let Me Go. I think I'll want to see about getting her other books. This copy came from the Cuyahoga County Public Library in Ohio. More and more, the books I order online arrive with library plastic and stickers. I wonder how many people checked this one out.

There goes the first light flicker. I'll be sad if I can't write or read. My mom called earlier to discuss the menu for my shower. The shower is only six days away now.



I can't believe I've already been back at work for three weeks. Tomorrow, I'll be busy with a meeting and preparations for the club fair. The fair, convocation, and class will take up most of Tuesday. But I've got to get my classes ready through the end of October and meet with my subs soon. I wish I could actually know when Oliver is coming.

Maybe I can get back to reading a book each weekend...at least for a while. That seemed to keep me going in the spring. I can't believe I've almost been teaching college classes for two years. That's real experience! I'll probably stay at my current school for a long time. I only really see myself leaving to work on a Ph.D. in Greensboro or to move closer to Charlotte. We both like the idea of living in downtown Monroe again. We do miss the nice walking neighborhood, the library, the proximity to Target and Charlotte.... We could probably rent from the same man, who didn't mind our many cats. That's years away if it happens though.

Yesterday, Dad and James took us to dinner at 215 on Main. I made a light choice--tilapia with rice, peas, and spinach. I did partake of the Parmesan and Herb fries though. In a wooden-gated alley next to the restaurant, we saw four beautiful orange cats--older kittens. We could have scooped them all up and brought them home. Corvette had spent some time on my lap. She couldn't fall asleep because Oliver was hiccuping against her.


No comments:

Post a Comment