Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Makeup and Trees.


Josh: "You smell good."
Me: "What do I smell like?"
"Becky smell."
"What does Becky smell smell like?"
"Makeup...and trees."

Powdery and green, I suppose. My husband isn't an outdoors guy, but something in his smell reminds me of pine trees and campfires. Those aren't the actual scents, but...why is describing scent so difficult?


I got through my first week at work. My days went smoothly and were productive though I feel like I've accomplished a small percentage of my lists. I've been keeping an endless to do list in pink on a beautiful Bonnie Marcus cupcake pad. I looked at her website the other day, and I have a long list of items I want, from notepads to birth announcements to baby shower thank you notes. Anyway, I have added Josh to my health insurance, figured out how to add Oliver (the HR director and I are going to add "Baby James"--who knows; a girl could emerge--at the beginning of September), figured out where and when I'm going to pump (a just-returned-from-maternity-leave instructor is mentoring me a bit), requested voluntary shared leave from the man in charge (my sick leave isn't going to be enough) and moved one somewhat far away class to the building where my office is (I don't want to be a whiner, but walking across that big parking lot will be hard soon and probably even harder after my leave). I've done lots of professional development (I almost have the hours I need for the whole year!), and I did a few things for the first time: set up a meeting, basically led the meeting, accomplished a lot in the meeting, and typed and sent detailed minutes.


My breakfast obsession has continued. A couple of times, my blissful before-bed snack has been three mini crullers and milk. One night, Josh made me salty boiled eggs and cinnamon toast for dinner. Mmm. This weekend, I've made muffins twice, and we had that asparagus scramble again. I'm definitely repetitive (movies, songs, meals) when I like something, so I'm glad Josh doesn't seem to mind.

The driving hasn't been bad. I've listened to Little Women, Sara Bareilles, Billy Joel, Corinne Bailey Rae, and Nickel Creek. On the drive home, I usually talk to Josh for a while. My feet have swollen impressively each day. I've been a little amazed at how tired I am--too tired to cook, read or write much, or even want to watch a movie. That's all right though. I've been doing all of those this weekend, and I think that during the week, making a living and making a living boy are plenty for me to do. I'm 32 weeks pregnant now. I'm starting to feel that Oliver is going to push me out of here rather than vice versa.

On Friday night, I fell asleep quite early and before I'd had my Dr. Pepper. When a second bathroom run woke me up at 1 a.m., I read for a while and drank my Pepper. It felt a little rebellious, and boy was that Pepper good. Last night, we watched Dark City. It was our kind of movie--sci-fi with great acting and some romance.

Sunlight is slanting through the blinds in our room. And now, I think, is time for my morning nap.

1 comment:

  1. I've been craving breakfast foods too! I've been recovering from some kind of chest/head thing, but all I've wanted is scrambled eggs, chocolate chip pancakes, hash browns. . . all the above!

    ReplyDelete