Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sleepiness, Baby, Seafood, Rain.


This week wore me out, but I finished reading Borrowers Afield to my boys, and we had a couple of exciting outings. On Tuesday, we went to a follow-up ultrasound. We hadn't seen Oliver on the grainy screen in twelve weeks. Unfortunately, the spot the doctor saw on Oliver's abdomen then is still there, and the doctor still doesn't know what it is. Oliver will need an ultrasound in the hospital. For now, "abdominal cyst" is the term. But as everything else looks good, the doctor isn't worried. Oliver has plenty of amniotic fluid, his heart rate is 154, he weighs 3 pounds and 9 ounces, and his head is down! We're excited about this since Josh was born foot first. Poor Oliver is already squashed with his knees to his chin. We got a few precious pictures, including one of his face in which he seems to be grinning at us.


I had a long midday break, so Josh waited for me, and then we went to lunch at Ruby Tuesday. We hadn't been there in years, and it seems nicer than it used to be. I was starving, and I went all out. First, I had my Shirley Temple. A pink drink always feels celebratory.


Josh made himself a rather lovely salad at the salad bar.


He had adorable little zucchini cake "burgers." And me?


I had broccoli cheese soup, the ultimate in comfort food. That's not all, of course.


Tiny cheese biscuits...of which I took a bite before taking a photo. I did give Josh one since I wasn't totally sure whether they were part of my meal or his.


Shellfish trio platter: shrimp, crab cake, lobster tail, white cheddar mashed potatoes, and grilled asparagus. Mmm. My love of seafood and asparagus has gotten a little wild.


And the thrilling finish...Italian cream cake. With its walnuts and cream cheese frosting (what better frosting exists?), it was like a mild carrot cake. I'll need to eat this again.

Two brutally long days followed, but I found out that I will get to teach a new class next semester: Introduction to Film! I keep telling myself I won't add any projects to my desk this semester, but this one...I'm pretty excited. I'm already thinking of other courses I'd like to propose...but I've got to pace myself and not overload. Josh says I'm just so ambitious.

On Friday, Josh came to work with me again because we had an appointment to tour the hospital after work (we try to save on gas). The sky was turning pewter as we drove to the hospital, and we saw white seagulls against the gray. Labor and delivery was silent. One of the nurses was sewing. A sweet CNA showed us one of the birthing suites. It was surprisingly large and had an alcove with a baby warmer. I won't have to change rooms for delivery, and I can have three people in the room. I'll have Josh, my mom, and his mom. I'm not sure what I'll want when I actually get going. We met some of the nurses, and I felt relieved to know that go-time won't be the first time I see everything. We found the ER parking lot too. Seven weeks, if we go that long, will pass quickly.

An incredible storm began, and the forty-minute drive home was nearly blind. Poor Josh was fully soaked by the time we got inside. Few times have I been so relieved to begin a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment