Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

On Ballet.

I like the word sugarplum. I love the sound and the images it conjures. I'd like to see The Nutcracker this year. I want to fill my head with those costumes and with that pretend snow. Ribbons, lace, satin-shine, tulle, glitter, ringlets. I would probably be one of the snowflakes. One of my closest childhood friends, Tracy, is a ballerina, and I got to see her in the show. Was she one of the girls at the party? I don't remember, but I was fascinated--craving performance myself at the time.

In my last semester of undergrad, my counselor told me I couldn't take any more English classes. So I took two beginner dance classes, modern and ballet. I was not good at ballet (despite a few good years of competitive Irish step dancing), but I enjoyed the feel of it. I pinned my hair up high, and I tried.

One of the first big shows Bruce and I saw together was a wild reimagining of the Sleeping Beauty ballet. The music was familiar since Disney used it. We saw black feather wings and some incarnations of vampires.

I'd like to see more ballet. I'm so amazed at what people can teach the body to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment