Search This Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Journal and the Blog.

While the blog and the journal are separate, they do intersect, sometimes in ways that surprise me. I've been serious about journaling since I was 15. I've had blogs through Live Journal and Myspace, but I began this blog, with its specific purpose, when I was pregnant with Oliver almost 7 years ago. Sometimes, a blog post will emerge from regular scribbles. I've also done a few page-from-my-journal posts.

A couple of years ago, I started the practice of giving myself writing prompts in my journal. Prompts come from questions, questions I have while reading, or just fleeting images.  To keep them distinct from my scribbles, I started writing the prompt at the top of the page and leaving the page blank. Sometimes, I would immediately address the prompt. More often, I would leave a sticky flag on the side of the page and come back to the prompt later. This means I usually can't put my journals away when I finish them because, technically, I haven't finished them: some still have a fringe of sticky flags. Sometimes, I'm not able to respond to one prompt, so I try another. Something usually pops.

Eventually, I realized that many of these prompt responses were just right for blog posts--short and focused on a topic or question. So when I respond to a prompt, I move the flag from the side of the page to the top, so I know it's ready for typing and revision.

I think the blog is a sort of condensed manifestation of my journal. My scribbles are full of boring nonsense, but I try to make the blog clear and bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment