Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Journal Shopping: A Guide.

Journals that await me...

If you're shopping for a journal, keep these in mind:
  • Paper quality. For me, pages need to be smooth and thick enough to handle a marker or fountain pen. I sadly avoid recycled journals because the paper is usually delicate and rough.
  • Beauty. A journal should inspire you. Don't worry about messing up the prettiest journal. Journals are made for scribbling.
  • Cost. This depends on your budget and how much you plan to write. If I'm swimming through a journal every two weeks (okay, that hasn't happened in years), I probably won't spend more than $20. If you think a journal will last a year, you may feel good about the $50 Italian leather journal. A journal is highly personal and will be a deep part of your life. Shop accordingly.
  • Binding. This is hugely important. I love spiral journals, but they have to be of high quality. Otherwise, I look for sewn rather than glued bindings. Some sewn journals have spines that are left open. The best journals lie flat, making the writing easier.
  • Size. I'm enjoyed tiny journals that fit in a small purse, and I've used huge journals that take up my whole lap. Decide based on the portability you need.
  • Artist cover art. Look for your favorite artists (or find new favorites), I've had journals with cover art by Mary Engelbreit, Josephine Wall, Amy Brown, Bella Pilar, Stephen Mackey, K.Y. Craft, and various Disney artists. I feel privileged to write in those covers.
Where to shop:
  • Barnes and Nobel usually has a great display of a variety of journals. This is a good place to find your favorite brands.
  • Amazon is great if you know what you want. Don't get lost in the staggering variety.
  • Paper Source often has lovely journals, sometimes including the Papaya! brand. It's also just a place to daydream and explore. 
  • Papyrus carries Paperblanks and Kate Spade as well as journals with Bella Pilar (one of my favorite artists!) art.
  • 2nd & Charles (or Books-A-Million) has many discount journals, some of them gorgeous. I've found many fantasy art journals there.
  • Ross and such stores have discount journals, usually by the register or in the home goods (near photo frames).
  • Target usually has at least a few great journals at low prices. I always check the pen and paper aisle when I'm at Target.
Favorite brands:
  • Peter Pauper Press definitely wins the medal. Reasonably-priced, these journals are gorgeous. Barnes usually has several styles. High quality and little extras like a pocket in the back cover and an elastic band closure make this an outstanding brand.
  • Compendium has a terrific variety of journals, most of them with themes or guidance but with plenty of blank space.
  • Novel Journals are a recent discovery for me, and they are amazing! They are of such high quality, and the literary references are awesome (each journal celebrates a specific book). The lines are the tiny words of the book itself! You're likely to find at least one journal based on a book you love. 
  • ArtWorks...I don't know what happened to this brand, but I loved it. I wrote on Christmas in a silky red journal with a Stephen Mackey angel on it.
  • Black Rock Journals are an extension of PPP. They are simple and sturdy with black hard spiral covers and inspirational words in gold or silver.
  • Ellie Claire makes faith-based journals. They are well-made with pretty covers, page art, and scriptures or quotations on each page. Barnes carries several of these.
  • Flame Tree Journals are on Amazon and at 2nd & Charles. The covers often feature Josephine Wall art (she's one of my favorites!). The art is metallic and striking.
  • Punch Studio. These are always beautiful with complex, collage-like cover art, often featuring the Eiffel Tower, hot air balloons, or crowns. Many of the journals have broach-style rhinestone magnet closures. Every page is lovely; I don't even use stickers on these. Amazon and Ebay are the best places to find the journals now. I don't often see them in stores.
  • Paperblanks makes a rich but highly-priced journal. Some Barnes have a turning display.
  • Papaya! Art makes some of the best journals I've encountered. Most journals have beautiful background art on every page. I especially like the spiral journals. The brand is inspirational and sassy.
Do you have questions? Comment below. Happy journal shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment