Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Clothes That Tell Stories.

I used to have to Disney princess T-shirts, pink and purple. I don't remember what was on them. But when a family member was ill several years ago, Josh brought these along with other clothes. I hadn't know how comforting having one's own clothes is, especially if the pieces represent something of one's personality. Unfortunately, they had been getting too small (my fault or the dryer's?). Nothing was going to fit quite right again.

My black, off-the-shoulder dress with the fuschia crinoline for a big flair is still in my closet. It looked great on me. I don't remember where it came from. I wore it for some important events many years ago. The crinoline irritated my legs. But a few years later, I wore the dress to my grad school graduation. I'd had to work especially hard to graduate. But I was certainly not the same girl who had worn the dress before. I was about five years older, I was married to a man who wanted me, and I was fighting to nurture my writing and creativity

I now have Mom's beautiful, silky emerald shirt that I'd loved for years. I wore it on loan for my public reading at Queens. It gave me confidence. Now, it's in my closet, ready to give me confidence again.

My current favorite jeans feel like mercy. They stretch so well to accommodate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment