Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness.

Lately, I've practiced kindness by praying frequently: "Let me think only kind thoughts." If my thoughts are unkind, nothing good is likely to come from me. The prayer also makes me look for something positive. When I eliminate something, something else is going to rush into its place, so I have to take control of that. This probably makes me smiles more sincere, and a genuine smile can be an act of kindness.

I've been working on the next step: sharing kind thoughts with the person. Communicating in this way is a little difficult for me. I've never given a great deal of encouragement or praise. I worry that I will seem insincere. It's been fine so far, but people have certainly been surprised. I think we all need validation, encouragement, and praise, regardless of age. Here are a few ideas:
  • Compliment something concrete--an article of clothing, a hair change (or simply beautiful hair you always admired), or a great facial feature. This works with strangers too if you're brave enough!
  • If the talking is too difficult, write a card or letter. It may come at the perfect time in that person's life.
  • Brag on the person in front of other people or even do it on Facebook and tag him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment