Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Journaling Activities.

I'd like to take my journal, a fistful of colorful peens, and a small folding chair to the botanical gardens. I'd sit in ithe first area, describing the beauty, the imperfections, and the visitors. I'd pay attention to the soil and to insects. Then, I'd take my chair to the next area, considering the flow from one to another, remarking on pebbles and writing about the kind of people who must tend the gardens while no one is around.

It would be interesting to do a social experiment--staff and customer reaction to a young woman eating alone, to a young woman eating alone and reading, and to a young women eating alone and writing. What do people say? Do they seem curious or uncomfortable?

I could try following prompts from a book like Pencil Dancing, jumping to a new one with the first dries up. I've never been great about following prompts in books. But a story or essay might emerge.

I want to write in Mom's craft room--just catalog and describe the ribbons, the dolls, and the cut glass salt shakers of glitter. I'd capture the nourishing feel of the room. I'd write about what I would do with a room like that.

If I had time, I'd write about every quotation I write down. I'd record the context, why the words work out of context, what I think they mean, why they touch me, and how I can use them for creative fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment