Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2016

Why Dolls?

My mama and I share a still-vibrant love for dolls...because they're awesome! They represent a small, calm, orderly world. They seem alive if they are very special. I love Emily in A Little Princess--all the description of her perfect little wardrobe and accessories. Dreamy!

I can still see myself dressing a doll, putting her to bed, worry about whether or not her coat were warm enough. Some people may think I'm regressing or working through the face that I'll never have a baby girl. Maybe. In some ways, I need to regress, to find and use childhood comforts.

I wish more dolls with full wardrobes and accessories existed. I'd love to have a Madame Alexander 10-inch Cissette. But of course, the Jo trunk set I want most is just gone. Mom could probably make clothes for a 10-inch doll. The doll could be anyone I wanted her to be.

If she wanted to, Mom could also make more clothes for Anastasia, a dark-haired beauty. A nightgown with lace, dresses in pink and purple...though she'd look lovely in red. Some American Girl accessories might not be too big for her. I could display the doll on my desks. I'd love to just to see what Mom would come up with. It wouldn't all have to be princess-worthy. It could include little T-shirts and jeans.

Mom has talked about our going to doll shows. Maybe I'd find a perfect doll that I never would have seen otherwise. And Mom could haggle.

I do love tiny, perfect things. I've wanted to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment