Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2016

Strengthening the Imagination.

When I was growing up, I had a vivid imagination. I worked it like a muscle, and the strength of it rescued me from sadness and boredom. I created and observed families; I thought through how one could survive in various situations. American Girl gave me basic settings and details. I could be anyone anywhere. I could chew on one "story" for weeks.

Now, I visualize when I'm nervous about something. I envision a good outcome. And I think reading is a lot like daydreaming. We supply the images. But my imagination has, I'm sure, atrophied over the years like any muscle. How can I make it strong again?
  • Read more, especially in genres I don't often read.
  • Listen to music more. In my mind, a song is full of color and imagery. I create new playgrounds in my mind.
  • Relive happy memories and include as many details as possible--or make them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment