Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2016

Equipped with the Habit of Art.

--Richard Ford

I like this. I think "habit" here is similar to what I call practice (thanks to Natalie Goldberg). Equipped...how does the habit or practice of art equip us...and for what? I think art can be a sanctuary. One can explore anything through art--crafts, music, theatre, writing, and so many forms of visual art. Edible art too! Art is a safe place to deal with difficult (or overwhelmingly wonderful) emotions. Much of it can be private.

So the practice of art lets me feel less afraid. I know where I can go even if no one is there for me.

Art also helps me understand, at least to some extent, what is happening around me and to me. If I don't understand why or how someone made certain choices, I can write a fictionalized story about it. It doesn't excuse, but it lets me catch a glimpse of why and how. I think because of that, writing makes me a less judgmental person. So art makes a safe spot for me and also makes me a safer person--people are emotionally and mentally safer with me.

Any practice grounds the day and offers comfort and stability even when resistance is strong. If I miss a day of reading or writing, I feel uncomfortable and unstable. Soon, this becomes apparent to others. Josh usually tells me to go rest or write.

I don't always remember how equipped I am. I'm trying to pay more attention.

1 comment:

  1. The beauty in art speaks to me of the beauty of God, the Great Artist. His own beauty flows through His creation and our souls hunger to witness it and, in our own ways, to participate in its recreation.

    ReplyDelete