Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

What People Need to Hear.

  • I respect you
  • I love you
  • I understand you
  • I like you
  • I appreciate you
  • It's okay
We need to hear "It's okay" often. I walk around tense with worry about tasks, situations, or mistakes. I need someone to reassure me. The situation doesn't have to be great or perfect, but it has to be okay.

Many people maybe not love us but may still be able to say truthfully, "I respect you" or "I appreciate you." This is important at work, where a favor or kind gesture may be more effective or appropriate than words.

"I like you" is important even from people who say, "I love you." "I like you" makes the listener feel interesting or fun.

"I understand you" is important when someone feels alone in his or her emotional or mental experience. But it's not "I understand your experience" or "Something similar happened to me." It means, "I get that thought or feeling you expressed" or "I get the way you think."

No comments:

Post a Comment