Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2016

Rituals.

I remember reading this word in Alexandra Stoddard's wonderful book Living a Beautiful Life. I had no positive associations with the word until I continued reading the book. Ritual is close to practice, but it's more about when, where, and how one practices.

Almost every morning, I get up, go to the comfortable gray suede armchair in the living room and write blog posts. That seemed to pull me into the day and remind me who I am.

I follow this, usually spread through out the day according to Oliver's needs, with what I've been calling my other "literary tasks": journaling at least two pages, reading a chapter or more of each book I'm reading (two at a time lately), and responding to writing prompts.

I could build more ritual around these and other parts of my day. Spending time on my denim chaise lounge was a ritual last summer. Sometimes, taking a bath every night has been a ritual for me. Rituals can help me join in with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment