Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Integrating Gifts into Life.

According to Gary Chapman's book, gifts are my love language, so I love to talk about them.

A couple of weeks ago, I was having a hard day. The boys (my husband, Josh, and my son, Oliver) were out running errands. When they came back, Josh had me close my eyes as he gave me a pack of Disney Princess stickers I'd never seen, a 10-pack of slender Le Pens, and a fist of Gelly Rolls in ocean tones--greens, blues, purple. This changed my day. I enjoyed writing with the new pens and also putting them away in my color-coded pen mugs.

Especially at Christmas, we come home with a vibrant collection of presents...objects, mostly. I love this part. We put it all away some place. That process can assure that the objects will add beauty rather than clutter.

If I can, I like to bring gifts into my life one at a time. I'll simply wear and then wash or hang up a pretty T-shirt. If I receive a gift journal or notebook, I make it the journal I use next, pulling it into my life as quickly as I can. I do the same with books, but that's a little more difficult--it's so much to read, and I usually receive more than one book (I'd have it no other way). I even love incorporating the smallest objects, such as a lip balm or a tiny pair of earrings. I also love bath items--bath bombs, bubble bath, and such.

Of course, sometimes, gifts may be experiences, such as a trip or tickets. These usually integrate automatically. I love taking something new (and love-filled, as most presents are) and making it a glimmer in the creatively-abundant life I'm trying to build and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment