Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Baby Dreams.


My mother-in-law, Grammy-in-waiting, brought giant boxes when she and Grampy came to help us move: our white convertible crib from them and a infant carseat and stroller from Oliver's great grandparents! Apparently, these aren't even shower gifts! We'll have actual furniture in our home and cars for this boy.

My first shower is coming soon! My mom is going to buy me the breast pump, and I'm very relieved about this. I was afraid no one would buy it since it's very expensive and just weird...but it's so essential! I've continued registry-creeping (if you're curious or just like looking at cute baby stuff, you can creep our registry too, here and here) , and someone has bought the little blue baby bathtub and the elegant black and white highchair. Someone also bought the combination play yard/bassinet. I'm very excited about the later as it will be Oliver's first bed. He'll probably be there at least for the three weeks of my maternity leave. I have space for the bassinet on my side of the bed (just barely) next to the bookshelf that holds my journals. My breathing hope sleeping beside my paper hopes.



I loved this text message from my dear friend Melissa: "Just for the record - diaper cupcakes = big fail!! Ah well, it's the thought that counts! :) Poor Rhys is surrounded by diapers, rubber bands & assorted Oliver gifts!"

Melissa's son (who will be just six months older than Oliver!) tends to be the crafts and projects helper. I certainly feel happy about any cupcake thoughts, including (and perhaps especially) those made of diapers. I can't fathom trying this kind of project, though. At the shower I attended at work, someone had made a diaper bicycle. The diapers were the wheels, and rattles and rolled up onesies and socks made the frame and handles. My gifts weren't nearly as creative or adorable, but they were useful and had ribbons and stork stickers!


My mom received her invitation to the shower a while back. It has zoo animals (including a giraffe!) and is appropriately glittery. I've never been much of a wedding (although, Sarah's post Flashback Friday: Little Details of the American Wedding on The Making of a Mrs. did give me pause), party, or event person, so it's funny that I'm so giddy about a baby shower. Of course, we need so much, but I'm excited about the event itself. I have to make sure that I take (or someone takes) photos of everything. I want to remember all the ribbon-y cuteness.

Every morning and night now, Josh lays his head on my stomach and talks to Oliver. Oliver responds wildly, kicking his daddy in the face. I wish I could record all those conversations--sweet, silly, or wise. Josh has even heard Oliver's heartbeat a couple of times this way.


Yesterday, Josh and I installed the infant carseat in my car and put the wheels on the stroller. Our living room didn't have space for the huge box, and I like knowing that the carseat is ready to go even though we hope we put it in far too early. When Josh put the stroller in my trunk, I just stood there staring at it. Josh said, "We're going to have a baby."


Oliver will come to use when the leaves are turning and fluttering and the world smells of campfires, pumpkins, and marshmallows...when everyone is unpacking their sweaters and starting to anticipate hot chocolate in thick mugs. I imagine finding him, a tiny fairy boy with orange leaf wings, perched outside my window. Of course, his entrance won't be so peaceful, but I'll still think of him that way and do my best to give him a cozy, cinnamon-scented life.

3 comments:

  1. Baby showers are so exciting! Its so touching to see people who love YOU getting all geared up to love your baby - I'm sure so many of them already do. My love language is also gifts, so it means SO much to me when someone attended one of my showers or bought sonethjng for me or Davy. And I love that Oliver will have fall birthday - my birthday is in November and I think it's the most perfect season for
    all sorts of cute little kid parties ( even if they aren't
    big shindigs)! I also remember what a big moment putting the carseat in the car was. So fun to re-live those moments as you experience them too. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you post a blog about the baby shower too :-D

    ReplyDelete