Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Week.


I can't believe we've been at the OLC for a whole week! It doesn't seem so. The cardboard chaos continues, but more surfaces are visible than before. Our recycling bin (it's huge!) outside is already full of flat boxes.

I've had to take a lot of breaks.



I've organized my work clothes in the wardrobe and found space for some of my shoes. My tiny closet still needs a lot of work.

Some books are unpacked; I've started stacks near my bed: books I want to read immediately, books I want to read soon, and journals I want to fill soon.


Josh has put up many of our pictures. We refer them by name: the pink lady, the elf queen, Audrey, Ariel, Andrew, sexy mermaid, and Cinderella, for instance.

Oliver's room now has a cuckoo clock; a whimsical collage; two tiny, decorative, bee-themed pillows; and a shelf for the many baby wipes Mom bought for us at Costco.

Note the honey jar and the bee on the dipper. Cracker Barrel knew I was coming.

The kitchen is basically done except for some more cupcake Wallies. The shelf paper, though I was no expert at application, definitely increased the cheer factor.

Mirrors are in place. They seem to open up the house.

I'm slowly filling up the many drawers of the giant desk with office supplies, pens and inks, and stationery. Folders and notebooks are taking over the coffee table drawers.


On Friday night, we watched The Edge of Love and had an excellent dinner. I cooked burgers (skillet-style) for the first time. We had spotted Boca meatless burgers at the store and decided this might be a good meal for both of us: I get my meat, he gets his...non-meat, and no extra effort is necessary. I have two small skillets, so I used both to avoid greasing up Josh's burger, and the dishes still weren't bad (remember, we don't have a dishwasher). We had burgers on wheat buns, pasta salad, and sweet dark cherries. I'd decided to try the cherries because I'd never had real cherries (just the sugar-glazed sundae variety), I'm more open to fruit these days, and they just looked so pretty. I'm sure the post about the health benefits of cherries over at Love, Bliss & Beauty had something to do with it too.

I also needed half a dill pickle.

The meal was very satisfying, and I enjoyed the movie. Josh is picky and doesn't actually like movies much (what a pity he married a huge movie girl!), so I just appreciate that he watches them with me, and I don't ask what he thought (his lukewarm reactions only bum me). It's a literary-tinged relationship drama with infidelity, violence, and one of those jealousy-charged female friendships. The best parts (and probably the redeeming qualities for Josh) were an adorable baby boy and the heart-aching Welsh seaside landscapes. Dylan Thomas's voice was great too.

On Saturday, while having the pasta salad again for lunch, we watched The Voyage of the Dawn Treader at last. This was my favorite book in the series. Aslan and the lily sea did not disappoint. The teary dragon really tore me up...but I think it would have even if I weren't pregnant. Oh! I can't think about it. Thank goodness for Reepicheep. For dinner later, we had cheese ravioli with tomato sauce, Parmesan, and spinach. Josh left a good bit of spinach in the bottom of his bowl, but at least I sneaked some vitamins into him! I had a glorious late evening snack: cherries and Jello French Silk Pie pudding. Oh. My. Goodness. And I got to enjoy it before the noise of merry makers and fireworks began. I already feel very much at home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment