Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Oh, Anthropologie.


Anthropologie is a wonderland. The window displays alone are enchanting. Even Josh likes wandering in there. I know a few people who would gladly furnish their homes and wardrobes almost exclusively with that store's wares. I could also get a long way furnishing my desk and bookshelves there. But it's also a treasure house from which most of us can't often cart away gems. I do, however, have a few wonders from Anthropologie, which I've collected over ten or twelve years.

*A silver butterfly letter holder. I only put pretty letters on it.

*Several journals. So many journals there are just amazing, but the prices are also amazing. When I was a teenager, I often watched and waited until they were 50 or 75% off. I have one green felt journal with pink flowers. I got that one at a two-story store in Seattle. I also have several that look like books.

*Several books. I'm not sure how many books I've actually purchased at the store, but if it's at the store, I usually want to read it and keep it in mind (How to Be Lovely, a book on the Audrey Hepburn way of life...The Meaning of Flowers and The Meaning of Wedding Anniversaries, so fun to just flip through...oh, so many more!). How awesome would it be to be the person who chooses the store's featured books?

*A white linen jacket with three-quarter sleeves, ruffles, and gold clasps. This was the most astonishing markdown I've ever seen at Anthropologie. 

*A moss green, short-sleeved, velvet jacket with silky, pale green, white polka dotted lining. I bought this on mega sale after I began working as an adjunct English instructor. It is so lovely that I have a hard time not wearing it in the summer. I feel like I should have a big, velvet, feathery hat and long brown gloves to wear with it. And maybe a watch brooch. Anyway, one of the best parts of my memory of buying it is my mother saying, "You're a professor now. You deserve a moss green, crushed velvet jacket from Anthropologie." Isn't it wonderland when someone says we deserve something that seems ludicrously luxurious and totally too good for us?

I think that's all I have, but I've bought several gifts there for my mom, who had an all-purple room at Pansy Cottage. I found a purple bowl, a purple crystal candle holder, a purple jewel-like drawer pull...

And here are some items I'd like to have.










What Anthropologie treasures do you have...or want?

3 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of about Anthropologie but I've never been there. I love the little bits and pieces you've posted though - I particularly love the monogrammed coat hooks and the postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, do I ever love this store. I usually go once a week, on Tuesday or Wednesday after they do markdowns. I have some things from A. that are special to me too. My duvet, for one. It was inexplicably marked down by like 50% the day after Christmas (the set was still regular price) and then I got an additional 25% off for some grey smudge on it that has since disappeared. I had been haunting the site looking at this very duvet for a month, getting cranky about being poor every time I did. I used my birthday money to buy it (great thing about having a birthday right before Christmas!) and I was so excited I made Jason take a picture of me holding it in front of the store and I put it on facebook! What a geek!

    Last week I ordered a bathing suit from there, which was a bit of a splurge even though it was on clearance. I keep bathing suits for years though, so it's not too bad. I also found Jason his first Father's Day present there. A vintage-looking wooden radio/ipod player at 80% off!!

    I could go on. I have seriously thought about quitting Starbucks for Anthropologie on several occasions. They are opening up at BHLDN store (the A. wedding line) in downtown Houston, and boy was I tempted to apply!!! I really have it good at Starbucks though, so I didn't.

    Did you know that the jobs for their visual designers are HUGELY sought after? I've done research. You basically need to be a showing artist, and have tons of experience. They are extremely coveted positions and impossible to get. Each store has different window displays too. Isn't that amazing? A totally new creation for each window of each store. Wow.

    Glad to know I'm not alone in my <3 of A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the window displays! That's amazing. The stores do feel like art galleries.

    ReplyDelete