Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Preparations, Part II.


I am thirty weeks pregnant today. Three quarters. Oliver can smell whatever I eat or inhale. I'm glad I've made scent such a priority at home. I always think of it as a way to sweeten life for Josh and for myself...and now, already, it's for our baby too.

Today, I got a package from my dear friend Sarah. She sent the adorable seahorse rattle from our Amazon registry and Eric Carle's Mister Seahorse board book. My brother bought me the fancy hardcover of the book a few years ago, and I was a little sad just the other day, thinking of it covered in drool and such. Now, Oliver can gnaw on the board book to his heart's content, and Mama can be a little selfish about the fancy book. What's better than a surprise package from an old friend? Themed gifts, no less!


Tuesday was a productive day on the baby front. We unpacked and set up the highchair, which has a gorgeous black and white pattern. It looks lovely with our black table and chairs and with Audrey keeping watch. We have it folded in the corner for now so that the cats don't fur it up before Oliver even gets a chance to use it.

Next, Josh built the crib! It's a beautiful creamy color.

I worked on sorting the clothes from the shower by size.



We also finished the thank you notes! I began thinking about how many stamps we'll need between thank you notes and birth announcements.

We replenished our strength by having dinner at the local Mexican restaurant with my dad. He took the photo of us by the crib. We'd been spending quite some time stacking the car seat box and books, trying to make a "tripod" of appropriate height. Dad also gave me a tiny book of fairy stickers...glittery ones at that. I had fajitas and satisfied my shrimp and guacamole lust.  This baby will grab avocados as we pass them at the grocery store.



On Wednesday, I finished organizing the clothes and cleaning up the wrapping. Josh and I tested out the Twilight Turtle. Oh! He is amazing. He filled Oliver's room with blue, green, or amber stars. I hope Oliver will like him. The stars are so magical and soothing. We'll have the turtle in our room while Oliver is in the bassinet. Josh would prefer to have him in our room now, but I don't want to wear out the batteries. Josh did pick up AAAs at the store, though. 

On Thursday, I did nothing besides going to work. I craved pasta intensely, so Josh made an all-in-a-box rotini, marinara, and meatball meal. He's a sweetheart. I went to sleep shortly thereafter with my love tickling my back. Life is sugary sometimes.

On Friday, I unpacked all the boxes. No boxes remain. Messes remain, certainly, and I'll have to tackle one room at a time. But everything is out. I also got started on more book organizing. The books will require all my creativity. And Josh finished a project: writing and coloring Oliver's name in Klingon. That's right. Oliver has very dorky parents.

Meanwhile, my belly button is nearly gone. Envision a pie in thirds. The top two thirds of my belly button are poking out. The bottom third is holding strong for the moment. Also, Oliver has become quite visible. I'll feel a shift and see what is probably a head poking out between my ribs and what is probably a leg poking out near my hip. My stomach is rarely really rounded. He's apparently the size of a basketball. Gracious. My tiny baby is not so very tiny.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you liked your package :-)! The picture of you and Josh by the crib is adorable!

    ReplyDelete