Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Nurse and Beauty Assistant.


A spouse plays many roles. A good one does, anyway, and I've got a good one.

On Tuesday, I spent the day grading tests because I knew I wouldn't do it while we were out of town for the shower. I had thought about going to work, but the two hours of driving and the gas, along with my not wanting to leave Josh, made me reluctant. Josh set up an office for me by clearing off space at the huge desk and setting up his computer (more powerful and with a bigger screen than my super cute red netbook) with a keyboard and mouse. When I finished, we watched Black Swan (finally). Natalie Portman was certainly impressive. I always like her. I think it's a movie I'd need to watch more than once, but I don't feel up for it now. I understand and appreciate the ambiguity of the ending and of the whole movie, but I really wanted more explanation.

After that, I was lying on the couch and started feeling very strange. I was a little sick to my stomach and a little short of breath. My stomach felt incredibly hard like a concrete surface. I'd felt this a couple of other times but not as intensely or for as long. I asked Josh to lay out my yoga mat, and because my body seemed to want to, I started rocking and stretching, mostly on my hands and knees. Poor Josh must have wondered what the heck I was doing, and I really didn't know. Then, he got into the shower with me, and I just stood under the hot water for a long time. You know how sometimes you get a really bad cold, and the only way to feel better for a bit is to get in the shower? That's sort of how I felt. Josh helped me out, dried me off, and got me in bed. I didn't know what my problem had been.


The next day, I was exhausted but felt okay otherwise. After a long morning nap, I went to take a shower. I felt fine until the end when I got confused about what I'd already done (did I wash my face? Did I use conditioner?). I shut off the water and suddenly felt like I was going to pass out. I couldn't even figure out how to sit down in the tub, so I bent down and grabbed the edge of the windowsill while still standing in the shower. I called for Josh. He was probably saying, "What?" But in a couple of silent minutes, he came in. He must have seen my hand gripping the sill. He put my hands on his arm, which he held out like a falconer, and said in a very soothing voice, "Okay. Hold onto my arm. There. Now, I'm going to get you dry enough to get back in bed." His ability to be calm and take care of me when I'm not well has always amazed me (we'd only been dating for two months when he first took me to the hospital).

I had probably gotten a little too hot, hungry, and thirsty. He got me a water. I'd been planning to make egg salad and had already boiled the eggs the day before. I thought the protein and fat would be good for me right then, so Josh made the egg salad, coming back in for me to tell him the steps. I decided that I wouldn't push myself at all that day, so I stayed in bed, and Josh stayed with me.


Later, I talked to my mom on the phone and described how I'd been feeling. She said that when she trained as an EMT, her instructors had told her not to even transport a woman who had fainted if she was obviously pregnant. Apparently, it's just so common. So I'm glad I called out for Josh right away. She also said that the hardening sensation and the weirdness I felt the night before was probably Braxton Hicks contractions. It seems like I should have known that, but I didn't. Like the colostrum leaking, this shows that my body knows what it's doing and getting ready to do. It's just amazing to me. I never thought I'd have children, and I couldn't fathom being physically able to do all that as other women can.

Late in the evening, we packed for our shower trip. Josh then gave me a meticulous pedicure since I really can't make that happen anymore. He was so patient, painting two coats of teal and a top coat of gold glitter at my request. He did a better job than I would have done normally! Having fancy nails made me feel pretty and celebratory for the coming occasion.


Josh will really try to do just about anything I ask, and he never complains about it. I'm very lucky, especially since he always has absolute belief in my abilities.

30 Before 30 Update: I've paid off our smallest credit card and put a good chunk into savings (the account had $100 in it a few months ago. No, no zeros are missing). Maybe we'll be able to pay most of our delivery costs outright and not have another monthly bill. Luckily, we're already on a payment plan with my OB and will have his projected costs paid before Oliver arrives.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. Way to go Josh for being such a fabulous husband!

    ReplyDelete