Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Yums.


A few nights ago, we ate Uncle Ben's chicken-flavored broccoli rice with a giant steamer bag of broccoli, some sliced almonds, and a bit of cheese mixed in. Mmmm. I've realized that slice almonds are pretty awesome in lots of meals. I'm glad Josh is okay with chicken stock or flavoring; it gives me a lot more options and means that I actually eat some meatless meals too. I usually throw in some boiled egg or nuts for protein.

I've been craving various fruits during this pregnancy. First, I was all about oranges. Then, I was into grapes. Lately, I've wanted strawberries. I like the five-a-day fruits and vegetables push, and I'm working on adding more into my daily diet. I think this is important for Oliver before he's born, while he's nursing, and even after that (I want to be a good example!). I do love broccoli, asparagus, and green beans despite the fact that I'm a picky eater. I'm not crazy about spinach, but I've been mixing canned leaves into some meals. Goat cheese is especially good at masking the strong taste.


I haven't had many consistent cravings, but I tend to go with the sudden ones. Luckily, the fast food craving was a short-lived, first trimester thing, and I've eaten little fast food since. I did start craving more sweets when Oliver started working on his fat stores. I'm lucky that I've had a lot of healthy cravings too, like fruits, veggies, and rice. I have wanted tons of guacamole! I feel pretty good about the weight I've gained so far even though I'll probably gain a bit more than my doctor recommended. I've mostly been focused on listening to my body and not eating foods or amounts of food that make me feel crummy. This seems like a good guideline all around.

I also know what I like. I have my Dr. Pepper and my Nutty Bars. I have this snack once a day (boy, sometimes I could really go for a second round, but I don't). I'll have other treats sometimes when I really want them. But I'm pretty good about just passing on something that isn't totally worth it to me. I'll crave something and buy it, I'll eat it a once or twice, and then Josh ends up slowly finishing it (Nutty Buddies, Reeses Klondike bars...). That boy can eat anything, and he's so skinny. Eventually, I'll probably get over the Nutty Bars. When something ceases to be totally amazing, I stop eating it. For now, though, nobody better touch my bars!

 (Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kahluacream/1825755345/. I'm pretty sure it is too good to be true, but the ad is lovely.)

I have never consumed so much water in my life! I start to feel desperately thirsty within twenty minutes of my last gulp. I normally just use a Brita filter pitcher, but I've been buying bottled water for ease, portability, and speed. I can't even go to the grocery store without a water bottle. I'm sure all this water-drinking has been helping me stay healthy and feeling relatively well most of the time. I'm hoping that the habit will continue after the desperate need subsides, though I do want to stop buying water bottles (I know there are a million reasons for this, not the least of which is the amount of space the cases take up in my fridge!).

My main health goals are to 1) feel good and 2) fit into my clothes. Of course, the latter doesn't apply right now. I want to have a balanced relationship with food (be smart about it most of the time and enjoy it!), and I want to model that for Oliver. I like to be healthy without stressing over it (especially now), and I'm trying to build that into my life. How do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment