Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Grades and Grub.


 On Thursday, we tried to take photos for an outfit post, but the morning was so steamy with dewy heat that the lens fogged up. This one photo turned out kind of cool though. At the doctor, we heard a clip-clopping heartbeat (he didn't run away from the nurse this time), and we signed up for an epidural and Oliver's circumcision. The first choice was obvious for me, but we've really struggled over the latter. We didn't want to do something simply because it's typical here. But we finally decided that enough real reasons do exist. I'm glad we agree on it. Still, I'm dreading it

After our doctor's appointment, we went to my school so that I could finish grading. Josh patiently sat on the other side of my desk while I worked. By the end, my eyes were red, my feet were impressively swollen, and my back was screaming, but I got grades in about forty-five minutes before the deadline. Phew. 

 (Image of Eva Green: Vanity Fair and http://csebastian.tumblr.com/post/1639639734)

We went to Village Station, a restaurant in the next decently-sized town (where our hospital is) for a dinner date. I didn't know what to expect, but the dining room was large and dim with a toy train track overhead. It reminded me a little of the Old Spaghetti Factory where I've had many dinners and celebrations with my dad's family.

We went to the salad bar, and then, we diverged. Josh had vegetables and pasta with marinara while I had prime rib and a baked potato. Oh yes. I've been eating less and less meat at home lately as I try to figure out Josh-friendly meals, but sometimes, my body (or my baby's body) says, "Excuse me, you are not a vegetarian, and I need some fast and wild protein!" We each left with a box full of leftovers. Sadly, we did not share cheesecake though we'd planned to. That's our romantic dessert...dating back to Chick Fil-A's variety in Boone when we were in college there.


I got right in bed when we got home. I think I need to prepare myself for this after work--going straight to bed. The next morning, I was relieved to only have a couple of panicked E-mails from students (even those weren't bad), and Josh made me cinnamon toast. Mmm. I was craving chocolate, so I wanted us to go to Mac's Breakfast Anytime for a fantastic lunch: chocolate chip pancakes. Alas, they had shut down due to the economy. So I asked Josh to go to Ralph's, a cute local coffee shop where we've had lunch a few times (chicken salad croissant and frozen lemonade--loverly) and pick up various yumminess. Really, I wanted desserts disguised as breakfast. But I got a sad call from Josh--Ralph's had closed too. Why? I consoled myself with more cinnamon toast and some chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

We went to the grocery store, and I loaded up for my return to work. I got some of my favorite frozen meals and office drawer staples. As well as granola bars and wheat crackers with cheese, I now have a bag full of soups and such to keep at work. I have two reasons for this: one, pregnancy brain led to my forgetting my lunch a few times last semester, and office drawer soup was all that saved me (and everyone else). Two, since I'll be at work from 10:30 to 6:00 most days, I may eat more than one meal there sometimes. I got other fun lunch items two--Colby and Monterrey Jack cheese cubes (I just love cheese cubes for some reason), dark sweet cherries, and mini containers of Yo Crunch vanilla yogurt with tiny Reeses Pieces. A cheery lunch can really make a difference at work. 


I also made a valuable discovery: Tyson has a big bag of frozen, "Grilled and Ready" diced chicken. I divided this into small Zip-locks for the freezer. This will make adding meat my (my) meals so easy as I can just warm the chicken in a skillet and toss it into my bowl of whatever. I'm also thinking I'll throw a little bag of chicken, a wheat tortilla, some cheese in a tiny Tupperware, and a 100-calorie pack of guacamole into my lunch bag and make a wrap at work. Mmmm.

Speaking of wraps, we later enjoyed our Village Station leftovers for dinner. Josh had his pasta and garlic bread. I made a prime rib, cheese, and sour cream wrap. Oh, the glory. But we weren't done eating yet (I somehow lost two pounds since my last doctor's appointment, so I wasn't feeling so huge). We made microwave s'mores. Campfire versions are more authentic, but we were happy to avoid the mosquitoes and just enjoy our gooey-melty snack and each-lovey-dovey-other. This guy is my best friend. I'd be perfectly happy to spend all of every day with him in this happy little house.


No comments:

Post a Comment