Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

To the Coast.


When I got home from work on Thursday, Josh had already gathered up toothbrushes, my body pillow, my blanket (I still sleep with my pink baby blanket), and our camera. I changed into jeans and that cute little bell-shaped lavender shirt with flutter sleeves (not maternity, but it lays just right and will probably be totally cute in a different way post pregnancy). We got in the car and drove, stopping along the way at Taco Bell for the restroom, a soft taco (me), and a mini cheese quesadilla (Josh).

When we arrived, Susan was in Wilmington, shopping for shower supplies with my sister-in-law, Sarah. Greg was on a conference call with people in California who were just starting their afternoon. Bella, the queenly little shih tzu, was lounging on the couch in the home office.


We settled in the study with computers and books. Josh is reading a lovely blue, 1920s copy of Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France. It sounds both silly and fascinating, so I may have to read it too. We went to Chili's (the happening spot in Shallotte) for dinner. Josh had the most unhealthy vegetarian appetizer options available and enjoyed them thoroughly. I had fajitas. Oh...the shrimp and guacamole! We shared that heavenly Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie, which really has everything one needs to be briefly happy (a sort of blondie, chocolate, caramel, vanilla ice cream, and walnuts). At about nine, poor Greg was still on the phone, and I was crazy tired. Josh tucked me in. Susan arrived shortly thereafter and came in to say goodnight. I was snuggled up to the purple body pillow and had the hot pink heart-shaped pillow under my head. I'm sure my eyes were crimson with weariness and mild puppy allergies.

The next day, we woke up around nine, and Susan was already hard at work. The kitchen was full of grocery bags. I don't think I've ever seen so many tomatoes in so many sizes. She needed a gallon jug to make tea, so she poured the milk into an antique glass bottle with a wooden cork. We wondered if it would reappear full if we put it on the back porch for the milkman. The cooking went on all day. We smelled seafood seasoning and intoxicating garlic. I later spied blue and white frosted cupcakes behind some pitchers. Because Susan is a vegetarian, Josh got to eat quite well for lunch: a wrap with banana peppers, tomato, cheese, lettuce, ranch dressing, and Chalula and a piece of Quorn chicken. I had a sandwich with microwave-zapped ham, cheese, and Holy Guacamole (I really can't get enough of the stuff these days).


Even though sleeping in general and during the day in particular has been difficult for me, I was excited when Josh said we ought to take a nap. We settled into the guestroom, and I read another chapter of The Secret Garden. We're almost done with it. Later, Josh said, "You're my secret garden."
"What do you mean?"
"I was just a wretched boy before, but you made me well and a father."
That may be the best compliment anyone has ever given me. And I did manage to take a lovely nap. Honestly, I was a rather wretched and contrary girl when we met. Now, I'm less so, and certainly, like Mary, I'm "getting fatter." I think that, in an odd character twist, our son will be like the charmer, Dickon, with cats and little bunnies around him instead of foxes and robins.

(I would like an outfit based on these purple flowers)

We spent the evening on the patio with Greg, who was content with his shih tzu and his Corona. Josh took photos. I think he may have developed a photographer's heart after three years as a high school yearbook adviser. We watched the furry bumblebees and spotted the tiniest, brightest blue baby hummingbird. The bird wasn't as long as my pinkie, and he flew right around our heads and snuggled up in the trumpet-like flowers. I thought about my own thrumming little hummingbird.


The next morning, I awoke excited about being twenty-nine weeks pregnant and being hours away from our baby shower. Greg was outside hosing off the patio, watering plants, and cleaning up the yard with Bella. We went upstairs to go through some boxes of Josh's old stuff. We found some great kid's books, and Josh showed me some of his old toys. He also found stacks of hard copies of his poems, and he was pretty annoyed to discover a handmade Valentine from a high school girlfriend. He let me look at it before he tore it up and threw it away. Sometimes, I wonder what knowing him when we were younger would have been like, but he always says that (despite circumstances) we met at the right time.

We got ready and headed out for a couple of hours, so Susan and Sarah could work on food and decorations. We had sandwiches at Subway (I knew I wouldn't last until the festivities began) and went to B&BW and Belk. B&BW now has mint chocolate candles and hand soap! The chocolate smells like winter, and the mint smells like summer, so I guess it's perfect all the time. We gathered up the hand soap, talking about how it may be a scent Oliver will always remember, whether from our hands or from learning to wash his own. B&BW also has other yummy scents like salty caramel, s'mores, and oatmeal raisin cookie. Like us, the store is excited for autumn. At Belk, Josh found sexy black jeans marked down from $60 to $13. I found two lovely cardigans (I know; it's a sickness) and a comfortable brown dress (from $68 down to $23!). I already had black and gray dresses, so this completes my neutrals. The dress has sleeves, which means I can wear it on its own to work without thinking about coordinating cardigans or jackets. It also has an empire waist, so it fits me now!

I put on red lipstick as Josh texted his mom to see if we could come back to the house. She said yes.

3 comments:

  1. Was it Quorn chicken? It's a brand pronounced like 'corn'. Being a vegetarian myself, that wrap made my tummy growl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet that's what it was! He kept adding to the wrap, finding all sorts of yummies...I finally said, "Okay, you need to actually eat the wrap."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! That sounds like something my honey would do!

    ReplyDelete