Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Good Luck with Those Glass Slippers.


 Our move began in earnest on June 25th, the day I reached six months of pregnancy (that's right: my last period [sorry] began on Christmas day. At least it's easy to remember). That night, I realized that the incredible pain in my feet was really excessive for the work I'd done. I tried to rub them a bit after a shower. I was hurting up to my ankles, feeling as if I'd stepped in a beehive. Not until I started rubbing my ankles did I think, "Wait a minute. My ankles and heels don't normally feel like this." The swelling had begun right on queue. I'm sure the move gave it a jump start, but I doubt it will abate any time soon. So are thinking foot treatments and foot baths were a bit silly, I'm thinking about foot care in a whole new way. I'm also thinking I may never wear high heels again (okay, that's an exaggeration, but I may not wear them for the rest of the year). 


I started by rubbing body butter into my feet. Massaging with much easier this way. I also tried using a True Blue rollerball massager, which was nice. I searched in vain at Wal-mart and Target for a foot bath or foot spa to use. 

My friend Leah N. suggested that I use Epsom salts. Now, I was was skeptical about this since I've only used Epsom salts in Oregon Trail. But I decided to try them. At the store, I was trying to choose between lavender, peppermint, and chamomile. I went with peppermint. When I first tried them, Josh was unloaded the car and said the whole house smelled like peppermint. The smell was nice, but I didn't think much was happening. Since I hadn't been able to find a foot bath and didn't have a proper basin, I figured I didn't have enough salt in the bathtub. But I was surprised to find that my feet felt significantly better the next morning. 


The True Blue Spa Fancy Foot Fizz was more fun (it turned the water blue, and it bubbled), but it didn't seem to do as much. 

I did order a Dr. Scholl's foot spa on Amazon. It arrived in an ostentatiously large box on our side porch a couple of days ago. The nodes on the bottom and on the attachments are hard plastic, but I actually liked them (I don't like sissy massages). The bubbles and the water temperature maintenance are nice. After using the spa, I felt totally relaxed and ready for bed (after having Josh rub my feet with Sweet Pea body butter, of course). I didn't even pick up my computer. 

I've received some other advice that I haven't tried yet, so we'll see how my feet fare over the next three months. For now, I'm glad I have some pretty flats, but I'm only wearing my glass slippers when I have to, and I'm putting my not-so-dainty feet up whenever I can (and by the way, you don't have to be pregnant to merit that!).

1 comment: