Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Extended Babymoon.


I've enjoyed the rain though it normally depresses me. We've had a crazy storm and rain so mild that it's just an occasional tapping on the roof and sizzle of tires on the wet road. I've worn my robe over my clothes, rested on the couch, and draped my lap with a snowflake blanket and a large man-cat (whom my baby kicks repeatedly). Josh is drinking tea again, using his electric kettle and a white, prettily shaped Starbucks mug. I like watching him, especially since I've never been able to make myself like tea. He's drinking green tea with some kind of berry now. I don't think he's yet tried the sugarplum tea I bought only for the fairies on the box. I lined up all his tea and cocoa boxes on a shelf in the kitchen. Cocoa sounds good to me right now. The light rain and the lemon gelato candle make me feel like this is early winter rather than mid-summer. When it really is early winter, I'll be wrapping a boy in a fleecy Winnie the Pooh blanket.


At the doctor's office, I drank a liquid that tasted like a thousand orange Popsicles. I couldn't even have water for an hour, which drove me a bit crazy. I kept reaching for the bottle Josh was holding. Finding Oliver's heartbeat was quite challenging for the nurse because he kept moving rapidly away from her. About five minutes in, she exclaimed, "Is he always this active!?" I told her yes, and as he has two very quiet parents, this will all be interesting. I was surprised at how much the finger prick hurt--like a snapping stapler. But I don't have gestational diabetes. I did, however, manage to gain another seven pounds in the last four weeks, which puts me at a twenty-five-pound total gain already. I'm not sure how I gained that much during the activity of the move, but I guess people have been taking me to restaurants. I can't believe I weigh as much as I do. I don't feel fat, though. I feel more cumbersome, of course, but it's all central. I hope that with nursing, pumping, work, and going to the park (as my 30 Before 30 goals demand!) will help me get back into my regular work clothes. My next appointment is in three weeks instead of the usual four weeks.

(Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamisaunders/534060860/. My belly has been kind of pointy like this even though my belly button hasn't popped. I'm just starting to feel more round.)

We devoured two British miniseries in a couple of days. British people know how to make miniseries. The first was Lost in Austen, which was cute and cheeky. I fell in love with Bingley for the first time. Mr. Bennet was darling (the actor was also darling in Iris). The second was Marchlands. We devoured all five episodes in one day ("Remember how we used to watch a million Doctor Who or Millenium episodes at once? This is our last chance to do something like that!"). It's a mild ghost story and engaging family drama. Yes, we were having a bit of an Alex Kingston fest, and who could blame us? She rocks.

 (Image: http://ranysmith.tumblr.com/. She's River Song; come on.)

I've been having a hard time settling into reading for some reason. It's such a habit that one can gain or lose easily...at least, it is for me. But I'm now enjoying Through the Children's Gate at a fairly steady pace. The preface was a bit dense and expansive, unlike the focused though allusive essays.

On Friday night, I made brown rice bowls (from Meals for Culinarily Poor, Lazy, and Untalented Couples) with asparagus, cheese, and boiled egg. That meal is so yummy and satisfying. I don't know why I didn't think of combining egg and asparagus before since fancy restaurants do it. Mmm. I could eat that several nights in a row.



I've been incredibly sleepy lately. My body isn't especially tired...it's just that contented, fuzzy sleepiness, like a couple of Christmases ago when I fell asleep on the floor in the afternoon while watching Cats 101. I'm sure growing a baby and unpacking do make me sleepy, but I think I also just feel safe, calm, and happy. I feel so blessed to have this time with Josh, setting up our house, napping, talking to our boy, watching shows, eating every meal together (is anything much better than getting to eat every meal with your favorite person?). Of course, I'm working too, but it's not taking over. July is really our babymoon: time after the move and before the faculty return to their offices and before we become a different kind of family.


Our baby shower is less than a week away now. How did that happen? This first one will be nice because it will be small: basically just Josh's mom, sister, aunt, grandmother, and cousins and my mom. My sister-in-law, Sarah, hasn't seen us since we got pregnant. My mom will get to meet a couple more people in Josh's family. We're going to spend a couple of nights there near the beach, and I hope we can go to an aquarium. I want to sit on a bench in wavy blue light and stare at slow, glimmering sea creatures.

1 comment:

  1. I find rainy days in the summertime very refreshing! I love to run outside and jump in puddles!

    ReplyDelete