Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tools for Reluctant Housewives and Househusbands.


My friend Sarah recently posted a list of registry essentials on her blog, The Making of a Mrs. Read it here. Here is a list of items that make cleaning and home life easier for Josh and me. I am a particularly reluctant cleaner.

~Swifer WetJet. It has a trigger to spray cleaner (you can buy various types) on the floor, and the pads really pull up crud.

~Swifer extending duster. This is great for ceiling fans, door frames, and the tops of tall furniture.

~Scrubbin' Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner. Push a button and close the shower curtain or door, and this sprays cleaner all around the shower. If you remember to use it once a day, you really don't need to clean the tub/shower very often.

~Scrubbin' Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. When you do clean the tub and when you clean the sink, this is good stuff. It makes a thick foam that does most of the work on its own and rinses away easily.

~Bona Hardwood Floor Mop. This is totally necessary if you have old or delicate hardwood. The mop is like the Swifer WetJet with Velcro on the head and a trigger for special Bona hardwood floor cleaner. The head can take a Bona duster pad, which you use dry to pick up dust after sweeping (believe me, it's amazing what you'll pick up) or a wet Bona pad, which you'll use with the cleaner. Sweep, duster pad, wet pad. And the pads are washable. Just don't dry them with fabric softener or dryer sheets as they'll lose their static cling.

~Bleach wipes. We've been using cheaper bleach and paper towels for a while, but when Oliver comes, we'll probably go back to wipes. They're so easy for quick clean-ups, the bathroom, and the kitchen counter.

~A big skillet. I had a medium-sized skillet from a set, but I was reluctant to spend money on a bigger skillet with a lid. When I discovered frozen skillet meals and started making fried rice, this became kind of ridiculous. The skillet I had was overflowing, and I had to use a plate for simmering. The $20 or $30 I spent on a big, high-edged skillet with a glass lid has been totally worth it and made cooking so much easier.

~A claw (preferably multiple claws). I don't know what these are really called, but people use them for spaghetti. I use them for just about anything I cook. I really should have more than one for when mine is dirty. It's easy to wield and drains anything from Ramen to rice to pasta.

~Clothespins. I didn't discover this until I met Josh. His family uses clothespins to close chip bags, cereal bags, etc. They're cheaper and smaller (for storage) than chip clips, and I think they also hold on better. Buy a bag for newlyweds and college students.

~A baby bottle cleaner. We've used one for years, and we're not washing bottles yet. This is the best way to clean cups and glasses if you don't have a dishwasher. No more stuffing a rag or sponge down in there. And even if you have a dishwasher, the bottle cleaner is great for delicate wine glasses.

~Dawn Hand Renewal with Olay dish soap. I like the Tropical Shea Butter scent (the white one). It smells nice, works great, and doesn't tear up your hands.

~Tin foil. This extends the life of your pots and pans--by which I mean you don't have to wash them quite as much. If you're just heating up a pizza, put foil down on the pan. Again, this is a bigger deal if you don't have a dishwasher, and sink space is limited.

For cat people:

~Citrus Magic Litter Box Odor Eliminator. This is the best we've found. It goes in a layer on the bottom of the box and then mixes into the litter. It just smells citrus-y, and it keeps everything under control.

~Arm & Hammer Litter. This is the best I've tried. We use the multi-cat version.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo I had forgotten about the Swiffer extending duster! It really does make life easier. I want to get one of the scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaners, too. I keep meaning to pick one up and forgetting about it.

    I always love the pictures you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can get your hands on Seventh Generation cleaning products, I would recommend their thyme cleaning spray. It has no chemicals in it, (apparently thyme has super hero germ killing powers - I watched a video about it) but kills 99% of all germs and harmful bacteria. You can literally spray a toy down, wipe it off, and hand it back to a baby. They can stick it right in their mouth (like they do everything) and it won't hurt them. It also makes your kitchen smell Italian.

    ReplyDelete